Monday, March 12, 2012

Meeting my team!

These last few days have been insane between work, car problems, and preparing to move out of my apartment. I keep being reminded that God is trying to teach me something.  This knowledge makes me so excited for my upcoming trip.  I know God is training and preparing me for big things.  I pray that as He prepares me that I learn to trust deeper, be full of faith, learn to be obedient and patient.  Oh Africa, how you are so good for my heart. 

So tonight I "met" my team.  We have been slowly introducing ourselves via Facebook but tonight we were able to all talk via conference call.  The phone call was mostly logistics but it made me so excited.  I know I have a little while before I leave (44 days but its not like I am counting or anything) but I cannot believe I am going on this adventure. 

So here's what I learned:

Our three goals at each ministry site will include loving the community, sharing God's word, and helping to meet their needs.  How awesome! I cannot wait to love on some Africans because Christ has shown me so much love.

I get to wear flip flops every day!! (a pair of close toe shoes is recommended as well but flip flops are a must- oh how this is my kind of trip)

Our team is committing to raising an extra $200 so that we can bless the ministries we stay with.  God is truly showing off because if you remember I had excess.  The excess is the going to go to blessing the ministry with the items they have requested. 

I get to shower every day!! (It may be cold but it is still a shower!)

We will be splitting into 3 teams: - SPORTS, MUSIC, and ARTS & CRAFTS.  We are supposed to be praying about which one God is leading us too... well if God wants me to do sports or music he is going to have to equip me some new skills. 

Although airline regulations state that I can have two 50 pound suitcases, the goal of our team is to pack in a carry on and bring only one 50 pound suitcase for the donations. The team is large so we are trying to minimize extra stuff. Packing light is not something I do well- good thing I have 44 days to pack!

The team includes 24 members. We have 3 guys.

I know some of you have asked what you can do... well at this point we are good on the money front.  I will be collecting donations and resources.  I will post those next week hopefully after our 2nd phone conference!

Thanks for taking this adventure with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment