Thursday, February 28, 2013

A year later

Do you know that a year ago almost to the date, I knew I was going to Africa. God was doing mighty things with my trusting him to take care of my needs. I wish I could say a year later that I always trust him to provide. I wish I could say I know why he sent me. I wish I could say I have a planned trip to go back. Unfortunately I cannot say these things, although I can say there is not a day that I don't think about my time in Africa. I am forever changed because of the experience that many of you helped me to have through your prayers and support.

Over the next few weeks, I hope to relive some of the adventures I had in Africa. I thought I'd start with a picture of Katie Davis. The one who started this whole trip with Visiting Orphans. I read her amazing book and was in awe of what she is doing. The time over there seeing her ministry was amazing. She is doing phenomenal things and God is using her.

What I was amazed most by was her humility. She was so interested in people experiencing the ministry and less about them getting to know her. It was clear that she loved what she was doing. She had a passion for the people of Uganda. She was a great mom. She was loved by all who came in contact with her.

The thing I learned the most was how present she was. She was so there with whoever she was talking to. She wanted to listen. She was willing to help. She slowed down to make them feel important. She is not perfect so I know this is not always true of her but I hope I carry that out in my life. God was shaping her. Jesus so desperately loved people. He did not get distracted by a to-do list. He saw the value of experiencing their story. I hope I don't loose sight of the people in my life for my list of to-dos.

No comments:

Post a Comment